Do you have touring or sea kayaks?
No, only whitewater and pyrhana kayaks and they are well used. Please go to U of C Outdoor Centre, Undercurrents, or Aquabatics for these types of boats.
Do I need to wear a PFD at all times, can I bring my dog with me in my canoe, or can I swim in the reservoir?
The Glenmore reservoir provides drinking water to a large portion of Calgary residents therefore a few city bylaws must be adhered to:
The City and Province enforce bylaws (See bylaws 9018 and 9084) with respect to the Glenmore Reservoir including:
- Boating use only between May 1 and October 31
- Approved Life jackets or PFDs (personal floatation devices) must be worn at all times while the boat is on the water
- No drinking of alcohol
- No pet in water or on boats
- No Stand Up Paddle boards
- No swimming in the Reservoir
- No inflatables
- No power motors
- No fishing from docks or ramps (fishing is permitted in non-motorized boats and along the shore)
Can you Stand Up Paddle Board on the Glenmore Reservoir?
No you cannot, see here for City of Calgary Glenmore Reservoir ByLaw. For information on where to SUP head to Undercurrents, Aquabatics, and/or MEC to find courses and where to paddle board around Calgary and area.
Do you do private, group, or corporate lessons?
Yes, we do, please call or email us to book a session and we will provide a quote based on your lesson.
If you are a member or a non-member can you take the kayaks and canoes off-reservoir?
Sorry, we do not allow equipment off the reservoir.
Where can I rent canoes/kayaks to take off-reservoir?
Here are places you can rent: U of C Outdoor Centre, Undercurrents, or Aquabatics.
Do you have trailers, roof racks, tie downs to rent or buy?
The U of C Outdoor Center rents trailers, roof racks, and tie downs. Undercurrents rent/buy roof racks and tie downs. Aquabatics carries roof racks and tie downs to buy.
When members bring guests do they need to leave a deposit?
No, however, they need to fill out a waiver form. Also, if they are using a boat themselves they need to pay $10 per 3 hr time period per additional boat (canoe or kayak).
Can you open the gate so you can drive down or does it cost anything to use the Canoe/Rowing Club dock?
We are unable to open the Canoe Club/Rowing Club gate to allow people to drive down to the water as it is Emergency Access only.
There is no charge to use the docks however the docks in North Glenmore Park are the most congested docks on the Glenmore Reservoir.
Parking can be problematic and during regatta’s access to the public is restricted.
We suggest using the Calgary Yacht Club by Heritage Park or Calgary Sailing Club dock (90th Ave/24th St SW) as you can drive down and they are not as congested as our docks.
Can I store my boat here?
No, you may call 311 or the City of Calgary for boat storage at the Calgary Yacht Club or the Calgary Sailing Club.
Do we rent picnic sites for North Glenmore Park?
We do not handle picnic sites the City of Calgary does. Call 311 or go to the City of Calgary website for North Glenmore Park.
Is the reservoir shut down all the time in the spring?
Several factors may contribute to closing the reservoir:
- During high river flow periods, typical In Spring, the level is lowered to accommodate the flow from upstream of the dam to mitigate the potential of flooding. As a result, The City of Calgary Boat Patrol may be unable to launch their craft is levels are too low. In this case they would close the reservoir as safety is an issue.
- There may be an excessive amount of large floating, and semi-submerged debris in the reservoir creating hazardous conditions. The reservoir may be closed to allow for clean up.
- The reservoir is closed if lightning is present and during massive storms. Boat patrol will do a sweep In poor weather condition and ask all users to get off the reservoir. Therefore, It’s Important In poor weather to stay close to the dock landings. Boat patrol cannot access the river channel area. You should always carry a cell phone with you to be able to call for help if needed.
How old do you need to be to rent a canoe?
16 years of age and you need to have your parent/guardian sign waiver form and supervise you while you are paddling.
How many intro sessions can you do for Outrigger paddling or Sprint Kayak/Canoe?
Two drop-in session and then you need to decide if you would like to join the program and pay fees.