Who is the Sprint Intro Program for ?
The two week sprint intro programs are for paddlers who have completed a 2 week L2P session or are New paddlers age 13-16 (Now 10->16 as L2P is sold out) years of age. Our goal is to provide a fun intro to sprint for paddlers to continue on full time in the Sprint Team program.
How is Sprint Intro different than L2P ?
The Sprint Intro program focuses on the Olympic Style Racing canoes and kayaks.
Certified coaches develop the fitness and technical skills of paddlers in the various single and team boats in both canoe and kayak, including the 15 person war canoe. (Crew boats tbd determined in 2021 based on Covid guidelines).
Although we are a racing team, we understand that not all paddlers dream to stand on the Olympic Podium, the program is designed to provide the foundation for long-term athlete development and life-long love of sport. If you want to have fun in the fast boats, we provide a Safe and Fun experience to enjoy with friends.
- Paddlers must have the Swimming ability of Aquaquest 6 or similar and be comfortable in the water (while wearing a PFD) in case they do tip.
- Paddlers must wear PFD’s at all times on the dock and on the water
- Staff oversee all training sessions and lunch break time
- Paddlers will be instructed on what to do when they tip the boat, how to right the boat and get back in from shore.
- The CCC has a safety boat that is shared amongst its various programs and the City’s boat patrol is a great resource keeping an eye on our paddlers and forewarning us to get off the water if they feel unsafe water conditions are in the forecast.
- Paddlers are instructed to bring a full change of clothing, new paddlers will frequently tip as they learn to balance the racing boats.
When do sessions run ?
The Sprint Intro Sessions run every two weeks in the summer months to correspond with paddlers graduating from Learn 2 Paddle. June 28th is the first start date. The sessions run Monday - Friday 9-4:30pm. There are no programs running on holidays, Thursday, July 1 and Monday, August 2nd.
Cancellations: Weather may force paddlers off the water. In 2021 we may not have access inside the building for alternate activities. Therefore, in the case of extreme cold, electrical storms for the majority of the day we will cancel the program for the day with no activities at the Club. Staff will be watching the weather and where possible will we provide 24 hours notice. Make up days will be available to paddlers.
We ask that New paddlers older than U14 contact if they do not prefer to be at the Club 9-4pm with the U14 paddlers. Sessions for U16 will be held in two - 2 hr blocks between 9-4pm Monday to Friday in the summer months.
If you are a Returning Paddler from Intro to Sprint last season you may repeat a 2 week intro session. Note that other participants will mostly be new to the Sprint Intro program and hence you will be repeating the basic sprint skills at the start. Coaches will challenge those ready to test their balance and skills with faster boats.
Can you join the Sprint Team after completing a Sprint Intro Program ?
Yes, fees are prorated for the remainder of the summer season (til August 20th) based on your start date. You will see the fee once you plug in your start date on the Sprint Team page.
You require a Club membership once you join the Sprint Team.
Please head over to the Sprint Team page for additional information on all the aspects of the Sprint program including fees and training times through the season.
Any questions please email email@example.com.
TO COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION:
- Choose start date and age
- Click 'Add To Cart' and then 'Buy'
- You will receive a confirmation email including links to complete needed information or click here
- Welcome Letter for 2021, click here
Note Season Modifications:
- NO PRE OR POST CARE AVAILABLE*
- Cancellations may occur due to cold, electrical storms etc. where paddlers would typically go inside, we watch the weather and strive to give 24hrs notice*
- Crew boat activity may be limited due to distancing requirements
- Disinfecting of canoes, kayaks, paddles and PFD between use
- Paddlers 'may' bring your own PFD (Transport Canada approved - click here for proper fitting)
- There are no programs running on holidays, Thursday, July 1 and Monday, August 2nd.