Fall Sprint Program 2023
To Register for Fall please head to the bottom of the page
Fall-Paddling Pre-Start Info & Reminders
Autumn is a beautiful time for paddling on the reservoir. Fall training is an opportunity to build on the skills introduced in the summer months and prepare the foundation for the next season.
The first session is mandatory for paddlers to take part in a welcome and orientation session. Coaches will meet the new Fall training squad and provide a description of how the program will operate and answer athlete questions. It is very important that paddlers and coaches take part in this so we all share the same understanding of expectations and procedures. Paddlers ‘may’ have time for a short paddle after the welcome meeting.
- Seasonal Calendar of Training Sessions (ensure you are on the right age group).
The coaches know that as a strong character is built, on-water performance will follow. The CCC Sprint Team seeks to continue to develop a positive and supportive culture of mastery where paddlers and coaches continually seek improvement. We are thrilled to have a large number of our summer paddlers continue training into the Fall.
Skills and technical development will be the main training focus and rarely will a session pass without time spent on skills. Fall is also a great time to build training volume and the aerobic foundations of the next competitive season.
Weather in the Fall can be unpredictable. If the temperature is 5 degrees, or below, and wet (rain, sleet, snow) there will be no practice (on water or dryland). If uncertain, please contact your coach. Cancellations may occur due to cold, electrical storms etc., we watch the weather and strive to give 24hrs notice.
Training will be on-water and on-land, paddlers should be prepared at all times for both. As temperatures begin to cool, proper clothing to match the weather and a change of clothing in case of a tip is very important. Kayak paddlers should consider acquiring cockpit spray skirts and pogies (special paddle mitts). Canoe paddlers can dress for cool days as if they would for a run, no special paddle specific clothing is needed.
SPECIFIC FALL PADDLING EXPECTATIONS
Contributing to our team culture:
- Try your best – This is a key characteristic of an athletic mindset and sets a positive example for others. We all want to take pride in our efforts.
- Support team mates - we will develop as athletes in a supportive team environment
- Behave in a manner which shows respect to coaches and fellow athletes.
- Coaches work hard to provide a safe and productive environment. Paddlers are to listen and respect instructions.
Arrival and Departure Times – For safety, and in respect for the coach and the training partners, times are to be adhered to.
- Arrival Time – It is important to be on time. The coach plans activities based on paddlers scheduled arrival time. Paddlers arriving late may not be permitted to participate if the group has already started their respective practice
- Departure Time – Paddlers are not to leave the supervised training session early. Paddlers are to stay for the full duration of the session. Paddlers leaving the group create a safety risk and set a poor example for others.
- Personal Commitment – Coaches and training partners expect paddlers to attend.
Where to meet – All paddlers will meet on the field next to the canoe club at 4:30pm (weekdays) or 9 am Saturdays. Coaches will provide instructions and separate paddlers into training squads for the day.
Bike Storage – Bike Racks are located near the parking lot. We recommend paddlers secure bikes with a good quality lock. No indoor storage is available.
Equipment Assignment – Paddlers should have their own, properly fitted and certified PFD.
- Sept 22 - End of year celebration dinner (more info coming soon)
- Sept 23 NO TRAINING due to rowing regatta
- Sept 24 (Biathalon)
- Sept 30 NO TRAINING due to Truth & Reconciliation
- Oct 1 Alberta Team Trials
- Oct 15 - Start of U of C Sunday swimming (6pm-7:30pm)
- Oct 28 - Spooky Saturday @ CCC
- Oct 30 - Winter training Begins - Fees Due
- Oct 31 - Halloween (no training)
- Parents – Basic information and announcements will be posted on the CCC web page.
- Paddlers – WhatsApp groups exist for practice specifics from coaches and for paddlers to support each other.
- If you cannot find the answer on the web site please feel free to reach out to us:
Winter 2023 Programs - Start date TBC, click here for last years info.
We are in the midst of lining up the programming for winter and this will get posted on the website. If interested please contact your coach.