Fair Play Code
Fair Play Code
- I will participate because I want to, not just because my parents or coaches want me to.
- I will play by the rules, and in the spirit of the game.
- I will control my temper - fighting and "mouthing off", can spoil the activity for everybody.
- I will respect my opponents.
- I will do my best to be a true team player.
- I will remember that winning isn't everything - that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are more important.
- I will acknowledge all good performances - those of my team and of my opponents.
- I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that my child engages in sport for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
- I will encourage my child to follow the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will teach my child that doing one's best is winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome.
- I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and trying hard.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will remember that children learn best by example. I will applaud good plays/performances by both my child's team and their opponents.
- I will never question the officials' judgment or honesty in public.
- I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children's sporting activities.
- I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteer coaches who give their time to provide sport activities for my child.
- I will be reasonable when scheduling activities, remembering that young athletes have other interests and obligations.
- I will teach my athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents.
- I will ensure that all athletes get equal instruction, support and time.
- I will not ridicule or yell at my athletes for making mistakes or for performing poorly. I will remember that children play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
- I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the athletes' ages and abilities.
- I will remember that children need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
- I will make sure that every athlete has a reasonable opportunity to perform to the best of his or her ability, within the limits of the rules.
- I will avoid or put an end to any situation that threatens the safety of the athletes.
- I will maintain a healthy atmosphere and environment for competition.
- I will not permit the intimidation of any athlete either by word or by action. I will not tolerate unacceptable conduct toward myself, other officials, athletes or spectators.
- I will be consistent and objective in calling all infractions, regardless of my personal feelings toward a team or individual athlete.
- I will handle all conflicts firmly but with dignity.
- I accept my role as a teacher and role model for fair play, especially with young participants.
- I will be open to discussion and contact with the athletes before and after the session.
- I will remain open to constructive criticism and show respect and consideration for different points of view.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my officiating skills.
- I will remember that children play sport for their enjoyment. They are not playing to entertain me
- I will not have unrealistic expectations. I will remember that child athletes are not miniature professionals and cannot be judged by professional standards.
- I will respect the officials' decision and I will encourage participants to do the same.
- I will never ridicule an athlete for making a mistake during a competition. I will give positive comments that motivate and encourage continued effort.
- I will condemn the use of violence in any form and will express my disapproval in an appropriate manner to coaches and officials.
- I will show respect for my team's opponents, because without them there would be no event.
- I will not use bad language, nor will I harass athletes, coaches, officials or other spectators.