New Paddlers - Sprint Intro
For new padders age 12+ (as of January 1) OR age 10+ who previously took a L2P session. Our goal is to provide a fun introduction to the Olympic Sprint Racing boats and prepare paddlers for their first fun regatta at the end of the two weeks.
The Team values personal growth and we understand that not all paddlers dream to stand on the Olympic Podium. We strive to create a friendly supportive environment where all can thrive. Our team of certified coaches work to develop a love of paddling and a sporting lifestyle. Paddlers gain fitness and technical skills in racing canoe and kayaks (singles, doubles, fours and the 15 person War Canoe). Paddlers will prepare to take part in their first Fun Regatta at the end of the program and have all they need to continue in the sport.
- Swimming ability of Aquaquest 6 or similar and be comfortable in the water while wearing a PFD (Personal Flotation Device)
- Wear properly fitted PFD’s while in the boats and on the dock.
- Staff oversee all training sessions and lunch break time
- Paddlers will be instructed on what to do when they tip the boat, how to right the boat and get back in from shore.
- The CCC has a safety boat that is shared amongst its various programs and the City’s boat patrol is a great resource keeping an eye on our paddlers and forewarning us to get off the water if they feel unsafe water conditions are in the forecast.
- Paddlers are instructed to bring a full change of clothing, new paddlers will frequently tip as they learn to balance the racing boats.
When do sessions run ?
The Intro 2 Sprint sessions run every two weeks in the summer months. July 3 is the first start date. Yes, we realize some may still be in school. You can choose another session or let us know if you have to miss the first day of camp. The sessions run Monday - Friday 9-4:00pm. *There are no programs running on holidays; Monday, August 7.
Yes, once you get to the registration page you will input the age. U12's train as a group and U14's train as a group in order to maximize our equipment resources and group paddlers which are closer in size and developmental ability.
Spring Session: $275. Sessions run Wednesday (4:30pm-6:00pm) & Saturdays (9:00am-11:00am), condensed version of summer (for ages 12-13), please email us if your son or daughter is older and wishes to do as we need to make sure it's a good fit for them.
- Spring session: May 31-June 28 (minimum of 4 participants registered required to run)
- Jul 3-14, $440
- Jul 17-28, $440
- Jul 31-Aug 11*, $400* (No program August 7)
- Aug 14-25, $440
- Fall (Sept-Oct) dates: TBA condensed version of summer
The typical Monday to Friday time table for summer months:
New paddlers older than 15+ contact us, if preferring not to be mixed with the new U14s between 9-4:00pm so coaches can evaluate options. Sessions are held in two - 90min blocks between 9-4:00pm.
What is next?
After the 2-week Intro 2 Sprint your paddler can join the Sprint Team by following the prompts for 'Returning' Paddlers. Yes, fees are prorated for the remainder of the summer season (til August 25th) based on your start date. You will see the fee once you select your start date on registration page. You require a Club membership once you join the Sprint Team.
Any questions please email email@example.com.
Weather may force paddlers off the water. In the case of extreme cold, electrical storms for the majority of the day we will cancel the program for the day with no activities at the Club. Staff will be watching the weather and where possible will provide 24 hours notice. Make up days may be available to paddlers.
- Refunds for Intro 2 Sprint registrations (less a $35 administrative fee) will be accepted up to one month prior to the start date.
- A 50% cancellation fee will be charged within 2 weeks of cancelling your registration.
- No refund will be issued if a participant is required to leave as the result of a code of conduct concern.
- Outstanding circumstances may be discussed with management, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes for the 2023 Season
- NO PRE OR POST CARE AVAILABLE* The boat bays are open 8:30am to 8:30pm. In the event of a pick up delay staff can supervise paddlers if notified..
- We encourage all Paddlers to bring your own PFD (Transport Canada approved - click here for proper fitting) . The Club will provide PFD’s for those unable to purchase their own.
- There are no programs on Monday, August 7.
- Click here for Welcome Letter 2023